Evidently “Year In Review” posts are fairly common on the blogosphere. The one in particular I copied was this, from All & Sundry. I am going to try to write this as quickly as I can in hopes that my answers will be the most genuine as possible. Also, I don’t have much time to blog today so, um, yeah.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Gave birth, stopped working (for a yet to be determined amount of maternity leave).
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My only New Year’s resolution I remember, heh, is tracking all of the books I read in 2012. Which I did and I will be blogging about soon.
As for next year, I want to make another reading resolution, cut some caffeine from my diet, cook one new-to-me recipe a month, and stretch daily. I am usually pretty good about keeping my resolutions, but that is probably because I set the bar REALLY low and they are usually resolutions that I want to keep.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My uterus. Good job uterus.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
countries, places did you visit?
The Virgin Islands, as documented here.
My hometown several times.
No where else, now that I think about it. I think being pregnant and having a new one kept me pretty well planted at home. We didn’t even go camping or go to my husbands hometown. Wow.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More adventure. I can’t wait to take Ace camping, fishing, hiking, etc., and basically do all the things my husband and I used to do before I got pregnant. It is going to be so fun to re-experience activities through his eyes.
Make new Mommy-friends. I am trying, but I think I need to be involved in more structured Mommy and Me activities if this is going to become more than just a wish. I should also probably follow my husband’s advice and be less surly. Couldn’t hurt.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 6th – The day our little two-some became a family.
May 25th – The last day I worked at the High School I had been teaching at for 4 years. I have a lot of great memories of coworkers and a few okay memories of my students ;)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Giving birth to a healthy baby and deciding to stay at home with him for the year. I have heard from many people who said I would never regret staying at home with him. So far this has been very true.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Probably not staying with it socially. I haven’t done the best with staying in touch with friends nor making new friends. Having a baby is not a great excuse, but your priorities do change when you have your own family.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No! (Excited no.) I had a few pregnancy colds and am just getting over my first cold I had since having Ace. A very healthy year indeed!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought hardly any thing this year. Most of the big things that came in to our house this year were gifts from our friends and family for the baby. 2011 was the year for the car purchase, the phone upgrade, fancy clothes, etc.
12. Where did most of your money go?
A big vacation and bills. I do know that we spent a far less amount of money this year going out to bars, restaurants, and sporting events.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Starting a blog. Cooking new things. Having a baby (can’t stop mentioning that). Going to the Caribbean.
14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Hurts to say it but:
This song was all over during the summer and I used to sing it to Ace all of the time when he was a newborn. I especially liked pretending he was singing and dancing to it.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? About the same. This time last year I was pregnant and I have to say, those pregnancy hormones were AWESOME. I am happy now because everyday I get to spend everyday playing and exploring the world with Ace.
– thinner or fatter? I weigh less since I am no longer pregnant, but I think I was more satisfied with my body when I was pregnant because any extra chub was serving a purpose. Now the extra chub is just extra chub, but at least my body is healthy and gets the job done.
– richer or poorer? About the same right now, because taking a year off from working hasn’t hit the wallet quite yet. I suspect in the next eight months we will be getting progressively poorer. Hopefully not too fast though.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Outdoor/out-of-town type activities. More organizing. More blogging. More learning. More socializing. I wish I had joined more activities with Ace.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Less zoning out on the internet. Less worrying about matters that are out of my control.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Became addicted to Mad Men, which is unfortunately one of the few shows that I am proud to say I like. Also loved Portlandia, but we don’t get the current season since we downgraded our cable. As for what I watch the most, but is not my particular favorite would be any Bravo-reality-peice-of-crap that is on any given night, including Real Housewives. I really need to block that channel from myself.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Oh, I like this question! Of recent memory, Gone Girl by Jillian Flynn. Such a fun read!
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Not all of this is from this year, but I listened to a lot of: Foster The People, Ellie Goulding, The Head & the Heart, The Lumineers, and Empire Of the Sun. I was also listening to a ton of 80’s and easy listening when I was pregnant. I have no real explanation for this.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I didn’t go to one movie this year (blame it on the husband), and watched hardly any so I feel pretty silly answering this one.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32 and I can’t remember what I did. I am pretty sure it was my Spring Break from work (as it always is) so I was probably in my hometown with my family and celebrated it a few days later with my husband by going out to dinner.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Probably having less anxiety during my pregnancy. I spent so much time worrying about the health of my baby (for no good reason, mind you) that I missed out on a lot of the pregnancy bliss I could have been enjoying.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Comfort. I dressed for comfort during pregnancy and afterwards. I hardly wore heals at all this year, and a stretchy waistband has become my best friend. My uniform has slowly morphed in to the mommy-rific look of yoga pants and Toms, although I hardly go to yoga ever. Hoping I can get a little more with-it soon.
26. What kept you sane?
Are people normally going insane? This is a dumb question.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
This year made me appreciate family more than ever: my little nuclear family under the same roof as I, best friends with whom the connection is never lost, and my family (including my husband’s) that live near and far.
Happy New Year All! Here’s to 2013.